Forum home Plants

Lupin seedlings wilting

Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,012
Any idea how to stop this? In the majority of cases fresh growth is still appearing but slightly older leaves keep withering away.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,083
    Have you fed them?
    I have 9 that a are a bit bigger than yours and they were doing the same, then I realized they'd been in pots in the cold frame for a couple of months and just surviving on the occasional watering and no feed. They perked up since giving a miracle grow (or any gen. purpose) feed
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,012
    No I've not, will give them some and see if that helps.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,433
    Keep them as cool as you can, too. Lupins love sun but not when they are that tiny.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,593
    edited 31 July
    Young plants that small won’t cope with feeding.  Feeding struggling plants isn’t a good idea really.

Did you pot them on gradually or put them in the bigger pots straight away? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    An alternative thought - the older leaves of lupins tend to die down around this time of year, after they've finished flowering (mine do anyway). Maybe they're just doing the same.
    Lyn said:
    Young plants that small won’t cope with feeding.  Feeding struggling plants isn’t a good idea really.

Did you pot them on gradually or put them in the bigger pots straight away? 
    I sowed them in smaller individual modules then potted them into these after the true leaves were out.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,593
     Next time I would use a smaller pot,   They could have lived in those modules for a bit longer, until the roots filled the module.
    You could try sowing some in September /October time, when it’s cooler.
    Do you have a greenhouse or conservatory where you can over winter them.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

The roots were quite dense in the bottom of the modules though - being a tap root the compost higher up doesn't really get filled.

I have a plastic growhouse which I've been keeping them in, not in full sun.

Will sow more in the autumn as insurance though.