Forum home Problem solving

Grass identifying

Hi,

I'm trying to identify the types of grass in these photos, can anyone please help?

Tom.

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 2,058
    @tom-manners Is this grass growing in your lawn? Welcome
  • tom-mannerstom-manners Posts: 3
    @tom-manners Is this grass growing in your lawn? Welcome
    Yes
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 2,058
    Hi @MrMow If you see this maybe you could help please? Is it some wild grass maybe or depending on how far it extends a fairy ring?
  • MrMowMrMow Posts: 101
    Hi @MrMow If you see this maybe you could help please? Is it some wild grass maybe or depending on how far it extends a fairy ring?
    Now we are talking about Basidiomycetes when it comes to fairy rings and Fungi. And how they behave to an approaching ring ( Death is the answer)

now we are onto the soil food web, amazing to see under a microscope.

As for the grasses involved :D

I never knew retirement would be so busy. :smile:

@MrMow I had a Fairy ring in my lawn for five or six years no sign of it now. Some people hate them but I enjoyed this wonderful querk of nature. 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,576
    I think it's really hard to identify grasses in a lawn...  is there a particular reason for wanting to know which they are, @tom-manners?  
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    I'm wondering if the second one is Poa annua, annual meadow grass.  Very common in lawns.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • MrMowMrMow Posts: 101
    Now we have 3 types of Fairy rings Suze.  all from the same Fungi, also add in Thatch Fungi and that comes in under the same category of Basidiomycetes. Thatch Fungi also has a nick name of elephants foot due to the decay of organic matter in the soil and leaving depressions in the soil hence the term elephants foot.

Anyway after joining and being called a spammer from my first post, and the very little interest in what I would have hoped from avid Gardeners the disregard of lawns and they do not matter is not what I joined for, it was to share many decades of turf before this body gives out. But no one cares so I will sign off, your self and Uff are more than happy to PM me if I can help in anyway.

As for the op sorry to have taken over on a negative.

Yorkshire fog and rye if that helps, not sure how that will help with your I D request. but wish you well. 

Cheers all and goodbye. 

Mr Mow

I never knew retirement would be so busy. :smile:

I'm sorry you don't feel appreciated, @Mr Mow - I hope you'll reconsider, because you have a lot of knowledge to share...
    @MrMow I felt upset when I read your comments. This forum should be kindness first before anything else. I would like to think I have an open mind when it comes to gardening I try to help others but I want to learn too. Thankyou so much. Suze