Forum home The potting shed

Knepp visit

FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,660
edited 30 July in The potting shed
I’m back at Knepp wild lands for the first time post Covid. It’s very good to be back. 

The current soundscape is of storks clappering right by the tent and lots of green woodpeckers yaffling. There are a lot more storks now - I saw 12 this morning riding the thermals - such a sight in England! 

meadow browns, I think. Clouds of. 

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,660
    edited 3 August
    There are huge meadows of flowering common fleabane (aster family) and ragwort, humming with hover flies, bees and clouds of meadow browns. They offer high levels of nectar and pollen. 

Common fleabane’s Latin name, Pulicaria dysenterica, is given for its supposed powers to ward off fleas.  Latin for flea  is pulex. Its scented leaves were strewn on floors. 

Insect numbers are low here this year. 

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,902
    We get waves of plants coming in, dominating briefly and then being replaced or moved aside by something else. It's fascinating to see how the biodiversity builds. Ragwort seems to be the one that's arrived in numbers this year. I suppose the conditions favour it - rather than the wild angelica we had last year and which likes the wet. 

I hope you're enjoying the visit - I'd love to go there sometime
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • ShepsSheps West YorkshirePosts: 1,201
    Beautiful pictures @Fire the sunset/sunrise image is beautiful, such gorgeous colours.
    edited 3 August
    They have a cabin for rent on the land, by footpaths outside the season (and availability). 

Isabel’s book suggests they have big waves of flora and insects that come in waves. It’s all yellow this week. 

There are so many people now (including me, obvs, high season) that I worry these kinds of lands turn into a park. The deer and pigs seem very used to people where they turned away before. And… 

It is wonderful watching red admirals, commas and 20 storks circling over head. I was chatting to a bat last night. 🦇 

• LunarSeaLunarSea Cheshire / Derbyshire borderPosts: 659
    Fire said:
    I was chatting to a bat last night. 🦇 

We've all been there :D
    I do love bats 
    a day of wrens, greater spotted woodpecker, yaffles, grebes, buzzards and bearded tits. 

Lots of dogs are on the wildland, off the lead, leaping into the hedges and the wildlife ponds. I don’t think the newts, dragonflies, frogs, chicks or fish appreciate the enthusiasm. Ground nesting birds are having a very hard time if it. 
  • ShepsSheps West YorkshirePosts: 1,201
    @Fire When I used to do serious photography, dogs off the lead was my No.1 annoyance, very difficult to photograph a shy species with dogs running riot.

I once had an English Bull Terrier come sprinting up and grab my camera bag, full of ridiculously expensive lenses, and shake it around like a rag doll , the owner just thought it was his dog playing a silly game.
    I get steamed over it. The answer is always “I’m always in full of my dog” as it dashes all over the place, ignoring the owner’s yells. 🙄

I was taking pictures of dragonflies. The dog was the end of that. You’d think a specific wildlife delineation would be clue enough. But no. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,035
    Sheps said:
    the owner just thought it was his dog playing a silly game.
    Was he one of the bearded tits?
    I'm surprised Knepp allows dogs in the water. So many of them are carrying massive doses of neonicotinoid flea treatments that are lethal to aquatic life.

Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.