Forum home Plants

Calling all West Midlands Gardeners

2»

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,336
    edited July 2022
    It sounds as though you've done the right things @Yviestevie. Are the roses usually ok?

One unusual feature we've had here this summer (apart from the extraordinary temps on a couple of days) is a lot of hot, swirling wind. Most of my roses are in the back garden which is now very sheltered. They aren't normally affected by windy conditions. Shrubs and hedges at the front, however, face due south and have little shade throughout the day. They also have virtually no protection from those hot, desiccating winds. They have crispy, yellow and brown leaves. As much wind scorch as sun scorch I think. Could it be the same for your roses?

The other problem with windy weather of course is that it's a very effective way of blowing fungal spores around.... 
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,627
    @Topbird The hot swirling winds have come this far north together with tiny drops of rain now and then. Not enough to wet the path. It's as if it has tried to rain but just can't manage it. This has been happening for weeks and weeks.
     Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,063
    Yes @Topbird they will be fine, it's just that they have been disappointing this year due to the blackspot.  Golden Beauty has been fine but then she's bomb proof.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • cooldoccooldoc Posts: 846
    @Yviestevie I do not spray any other plants other than roses.. And do it after 8pm.. bees do not get much from most roses anyways.. Other plants have mildew but are still flowering.. I simply cut of the spires of old flowers and feed them.. plus the wild flowers are attracting more bees than any others.. so bees have enough food always.. (atleast in summer)
    A rose lover from West midlands
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,063
    Same here @Cooldoc I only spray roses.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands