Forum home Problem solving

Weeds in compost

KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,832
Has anybody else had issues with the amount of weeds growing in compost this year.  I've never had a problem in the past, but almost every pot this year has required almost constant attention to stop them taking over completely.  All sorts of things, including grass had to be ripped out.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,584
    No,  the only ever occurring weed in ours is the little white one with the exploding seed heads, easily recognised and pulled out early.
    We don’t put  couch grass in there,  or nettle/dandelion and ground elder roots, just cut the leaves off and dump the root. 
    Maybe your boxes didn’t get so hot this time and kill them. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,832
    Sorry, I should have made it clearer, I'm talking about commercially purchased potting compost.
    Oops!  Sorry, thought you meant your own.
    That’s not good enough then.  There are so many threads on crappy compost. I don’t think many are happy with it.
    Have you room for a couple of wooden compost bins?
    We’ve been collecting mole hills.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,064
    Every bag of compost I've bought since we moved here nearly 6 years ago has grown weeds from chickweed to grass, fat hen to horseweed and, one year, red shank in abundance.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    I've had a lot but I assumed it was because I mixed in some homemade compost. A lot of the "weeds" are forget-me-not seedlings and annual meadow grass (or something similar). Easy enough to pull out and if I didn't put grass clippings and forget-me-nots in my compost bin there'd be little else going in during late May into June.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    I haven't noticed any. We've certainly had more weeds generally, but that's down to the very mild winter and spring, so they got going before many plants did.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

What made the source of the weeds so obvious was that they are only a major problem in pots planted up this year.  There are a few in established pots, as there always are, but nothing like those in the new ones.
    Maybe that could be classed as a good thing,  showing the compost hasn’t been sterilised, bleached, disinfected whatever they use. 
    Discussion on another thread, I think we agreed that weedkillers in compost were killing tomato plants and that WK needs bacteria to make it inert.

It could be something simple though,  like a windy day blowing seeds in from nearby and taking root in your pots. 

@Lyn If it was windblown seed it wouldn't just be affecting pots with new compost.  I generally find that potting compost these days is of truly awful quality, but I can't produce my own.
    If you lived near me we could take your garden waste and give it back to you done.