Forum home Problem solving

Should I let it go or say something?

At the lower end of my garden, on the right hand side, I have just noticed my neighbour has put a 5ft high bamboo screen up against my 3ft chain link fence. It is about 10ft wide. My issue is that he has attached it to my fence with various pieces of metal wire. I do not often see them in the garden and do not want to fall out with them but I do feel it would have been polite to ask if I minded them doing so. I feel that I want to say something, just that a heads up would have been nice but I don't know if I am over reacting?  :/

• Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,132
    It's a judgement call as to whether it really is an issue (in practical rather than emotional terms) and how your relationship is with your neighbours and what their reaction might be. If it was a wooden fence (your fence) you probably wouldn't know they've done it and it's fairly common practice, albeit not 'right' to do such a thing. A heads-up or request would have been the nice way forwards as you say.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,210
    I don't think you are overreacting. If the chain fence is yours then legally he can't attach anything to it without asking you. If he had put in his own supports then he can put in a fence up to 6ft but it would still have been polite to talk to you first.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,567
    Yes it would’ve ‘been nice’ if they’d checked with you first … but if it’s not doing damage telling someone off for a lack of good manners is not going to win any prizes in the good neighbour stakes. 

I was always taught that it is ill-mannered to remark upon a lack of manners in others… and it’s bound to cause bad feeling. 

I would just smile and say nothing.  You’ll  be retaining the moral high ground. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554
    Unwind the wire?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,410
    Let it go. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,658
    Is it causing damage to your fence, or looking unsightly from your side (eg that nasty lurid green garden wire)? If it is, perhaps you could suggest to your neighbour that the two of you could replace the wire ties with something less damaging/ugly. If not, I would let it go.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 2,186
    edited 29 July
    I agree with Dove and B3. If it isn't doing any damage just let it go. Looking at it another way, some people don't know who the fence belongs to and just think of it as theirs. 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,915
    what Uff said
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,410
    They could have planted something awful like a jasminum beesianum  which would have wound all over your fence and then started on your plants.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,021
    Having had years of trouble with my previous neighbours, I would let it go. Feuds can start over the smallest of issues and if you can avoid them starting, so much the better.
    Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go