Forum home Problem solving

Leaning young crab apple tree

I planted this young crab apple tree in 2018. It's established well, but is growing at an angle - towards the right (and the road) in the picture, as you can see.

Should I re-stake it and try to pull it back towards the vertical, with ties? Or is this unnecessary? Any advice/similar shared experience would be appreciated. Thanks

• Simone_in_WiltshireSimone_in_Wiltshire WiltshirePosts: 289
    Did you try if it moves a bit?  Putting a stake in now is probably too late. Try it during the winter when the soil is wet und tie it gradually and slowly to get it straight again. You might have to keep the stake. It looks like the tree get most of the wind from the left side. 
    If you are wondering why the avatar is a penguin, yes, I'm a Linux user.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,549
    I once bought a pear tree in a pot that had a distinct lean to one side. I thought Oh, it’ll be OK once I’ve got it in the ground.

But it never was. Despite the stoutest of stakes it continued to lean. The new growth grew vertically but the original stayed at an angle. 

It didn’t seem to affect it in any way. 🙂
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,639
    edited 28 July
    I would dig it up and re-set it (planted correctly with better staking). I have OCD you see. Follow the usual advice for moving trees. Perhaps lean it into the wind slightly to anticipate the prevailing wind! I would tie it to a horizontal bar between two beefy stakes, using a rubber tie and spacer.. The bar should be on the windward side of the tree so the wind pulls the tree away from the bar, instead of rubbing against it. 

(If the lower branches would get in the way, this staking method might be better) 

Or just learn to accept your wonky tree.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,549
    There’s a problem with resetting it correctly into the ground if the rootball is large. That was my problem.

To get the trunk straight you had to dig a very very deep hole on one side only because by getting the trunk vertical the rootball was not then level and it stuck up out of the ground at one side. OK if your ground is soft and amenable, not so easy if you are on rocky stuff. 🙂
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.