Forum home Problem solving

Bamboo from the neighbours garden

Hi

my neighbour has some bamboo near to my fence, and I think it is starting to grow in my garden now 

is there an easy way to get rid of it? I fear if I cut it, it will grow again isn’t it?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,434
    in short, there is NO "easy" way to stop it.
    digging by the fence and installing a barrier is about the only effective way. 
    Devon.
  • KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,841
    No easy, or particularly cheap way to stop it.  You need to dig down at least a foot, preferably about 18" - 30 to 45 cm and install a strong barrier.  Paving slabs on edge would be ideal as they won't rot over time.  Digging down that deep will enable you to cut any of the bamboo runners coming to your garden and pull them out completely.  If you have caught the bamboo at the early stages of its invasion plan it shouldn't be too difficult to remove.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 2,178
    If the bamboo is coming from the neighbours property isn't it up to the neighbour to prevent it spreading to  another's garden?
    Uff said:
    If the bamboo is coming from the neighbours property isn't it up to the neighbour to prevent it spreading to  another's garden?
    IMHO no more than it's up to a neighbour to cut branches which overhang. 
    Unless you're prepared to take them to court, I think you're stuffed in this situation.
    Devon.
  • Javi.xeneizeJavi.xeneize Posts: 163
    Yeah I can’t ask the neighbour not to plant bamboo

if I cut the bamboo and pour some root killer or similar, would it help?
    you might open up a whole new can of worms if it damages on the neighbour's side
    Devon.
    Which part of the UK do you live @Javi.xeneize
  • Javi.xeneizeJavi.xeneize Posts: 163
    Near Northampton, why?
    Because the laws on such things are different in say England and Scotland where I live. In Scotland for example the house owner is responsible for plants invading other gardens. 
    Uff said:
    Because the laws on such things are different in say England and Scotland where I live. In Scotland for example the house owner is responsible for plants invading other gardens. 
    As is so often the case, Scots Law is superior in this instance.
    Devon.