Forum home Fruit & veg

Black Tomatos

I am growing a Fleisch tomato in a pot outside. The tomatoes are going black on the lower end opposite the stalk. The rest of the plant looks OK given the dry hot weather. I regularly water it  but not overly so.

I have another same growing in the ground and that's OK (so far!)

Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179
    Sounds like blossom end rot. Do you have a photo @happyhacker ?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• happyhackerhappyhacker Posts: 13
    Yes, it fits. Thanks. So likely hot weather and maybe lack of calcium. The plant is in a pot in fairly bland compost bought in one of those cheap sacks. The other toms on the plant seem OK. Would some Tomarite do it?
    I don't think you can sort it once they get it. 
    I've never had it on mine, so not sure of the solutions, but I think you have to look at prevention more than anything.
    Someone else who has experience of it may be able to advise on that though  :)

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,405
    I have had blossom end rot this year. Not sure it's a lack of nutrients @happyhacker as out of ten tubs of tomatoes of three varieties, in the same compost, only some have suffered. Only tends to be one or two fruit per truss, and other trusses on the plant are unaffected. I did read it's damage to the flower at fruit set that might cause it, either at pollination or to do with weather conditions. 🤔 The seeds should be ok that these plants come from as grew fine last year. I'm still getting a good crop from the rest.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,929
    Agree with @purplerallim.  I've had a couple of instances this year on the beefsteak types.  Not sure what the cause was - some years all fruits are unaffected.
    Best thing is to remove those affected as soon as you spot it as it won't get better with time.  The fruit is still useable tho - if ripe, just cut out the bad bit.  If still green, do the same and freeze - good for making green tom sauce later on.
    Isn't it mainly a cultural problem? Inconsistent watering when plants are bigger, which affects the calcium uptake?

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,405
    I don't think so @Fairygirl as I haven't watered any differently than other years, even the heat has happened before without problems. My only suspicion is the compost. I had to get peat free, as the only option then available, Arthur Bowers. Last year this brand was powdery, this year more woody. I feed weekly after fruit set, and the plants are big and healthy looking, with lots of fruits,  just prone to blossom end rot. 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,175
    It is usually a watering problem. Here is a useful article from the RHS. https://www.rhs.org.uk/problems/blossom-end-rot
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • happyhackerhappyhacker Posts: 13
    Well, that's all clear now. I'll keep the soil moist and maybe have a little chat with it when I do so. Thanks all.