Forum home Problem solving

Elderflower Black Lace troubleshooting

Hello
I have a Elderflower Black Lace in a pot which I have had for a year.  The leaves seem to be turning a reddish brown colour which I think is in part due to the extreme weather we had a couple of weeks ago but they were going that way even before then.  I'm not sure whether it is underwater, overwatered or diseased.  I'm posting some images (taken from above looking down) and if anybody has any suggestions about what I can do that would be great.  Many thanks!

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,621
    @alisha.whittington, they want to be big plants so a pot is not ideal and probably need a lot more water. The recent heat is the cause of the leaves going a different colour and if it's not watered enough, I'm afraid your plant may be dying.

It would be better off in the ground or if that is not doable, as big a pot as you can afford and at least 2 gallons of water twice a week or once a day in very hot weather.

Hope it survives.
  • @Lizzie27 Thank you! It is in a really large pot - I'll increase the watering and see what happens, hopefully it will survive. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,049
    I have one in the ground that looks the same as yours. It's been there for about 15 years.
    It was the heat/sun last week that caused it, not due to a lack of water.
    The leaves are shrivelling now.
    As it was just due to the heat/sun I'll leave mine alone to recover, but give it a water now and then too.
    It may get some new leaves this year, but I expect it will fully recover by next year.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,122
    While I'd agree with @Pete.8 re the sun damage [and if you had a drying wind, that has a frazzling effect on foliage too] they aren't great as pot specimens, for the reasons given. In a cooler, damper location, they cope better, but if you're in one of those hotter, drier spots, it would be better in the ground for long term health. 
    If it's a terracotta pot, they also absorb a lot of moisture, so as a temporary measure, you could try putting it in something different, if you have anything. A soil based growing medium too - not just compost, and a shadier spot, will help it recover  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....