Forum home Problem solving

Pink spots on yellow roses

Hi guys I have a few questions to do with my yellow rose bush named the poets wife. 

I noticed today that there is a lot of pinks spots/marks on my yellow roses. I know this sounds like a stupid suggestion but it is next to my pink roses. Is it possible that the colour from the pink rose has ran onto the the yellow rose because of the recent rain? 

The other question is the roses are always droopy as the picture shows, almost like the bloom is too heavy for the stem! 

Any suggestions would be amazing! 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,674
    @alexander.wade, nothing to worry about, purely caused by the hot weather conditions we've had recently and the colour should revert to normal in new blooms with cooler weather.  The droopiness is typical of David Austin roses and usually improves once the rose is three years old.

If you have a look at the main 'Rose' thread, lots of good advice on there.
  • Great thanks! That’s a relief! Would it affect the rose it I support the roses with some string connected to the fence? 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,475
    might it be botrytis? 
    I know Iceberg is very prone to it, maybe this one is too?
    Devon.
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,255
    Botrytis and rain damage. Nothing to do about it, just deadhead the blooms when they get ugly.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,674
    @alexander.wade, I don't find that tying rose heads up with string doesn't work too well as you run the risk of 'strangling' them. The metal hoop supports you can buy in different sizes are better as you can then just gently rest the droopy heads on top of the support.

I'm not sure I can see botrytis damage in the pics.
  • bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 538
    It’s just the weather affecting it My iceberg is just the same nothing wrong with it ,and no ,colours don’t rub off or run into each other in the rain .
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,966
    It’s not necessarily botrytis (I don’t see that either) or rain, depends on the kind of weather you have been experiencing. Pink spots are also a reaction to very hot weather, when the red colour inhibitors present in roses of all colours break down. Either which way the spots are not harmful or permanent.

I get washed out colours and pink spots most frequently in summer when it’s hot ‘n dry, Lady Emma Hamilton is very susceptible:

Julia Child (aka Absolutely Fabulous) is a very heat tolerant rose but still gets them occasionally:

• Thanks all! Will ride it out!