Forum home Problem solving

Bath water collection butt for ground floor.

Hey there

We’re trying to collect as much water as possible for use in the garden and I’d like to find a water butt to harvest our grey waste water. 

Only problem is that our pipes are very low to the ground so impossible to get any standard butt underneath it. 

Is anyone aware of a siphon type system that takes the water from low level to high so can be stored in decent quantities. Of course this is something I can rig up DIY style but would be interested to know if there is anything on the market. I’m sure it would be much neater looking than my attempts. 😂

Many thanks in advance. 

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,617
    Hi AdukiBean and welcome,
    it's not a good idea to store "greywater" from showers or baths. It has too much bacteria in it - pathogens, ecoli etc. It will get very smelly very fast. If your bathroom is higher than your garden, you can rig up a hose to flow directly.

Details here of how to rig up a hose and siphon system, using gravity.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,893
    You put the title "bathwater collection, not sure which pipe you are referring to. We just put the plug in the bath while having a shower I scoop it out with a measuring jug,into watering cans. Agree with fire,you have to use it within 2 days,it stinks gets a greasy looking film,and is full of nasties
     We live in a bungalow,so this is the only way we can do this.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,478
    A siphon cannot move water uphill, you need to use a pump to do that.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,617
    A siphon can move water down and uphill, as long as the original source is higher than the outflow. What are the relative positions of your source and outflow, Aduki?