Forum home Problem solving

Pelargonium not very happy

sharanshrubssharanshrubs Maidenhead, UKPosts: 42
I have this pelargonium in ceramic glazed pot. Was doing very well even before drought. Never had pelargoniums before...im a beginner.
Full sun. Multipurpose compost with grit. I water every 3 days approx and let it dry out between watering. Deadhead daily too.

Leaves are turning red and wilting.
I dont think if alyssum is good companion as it likes moist soil?
Root rot?
Wrong soil?
Wrong pot?
Poor drainage?

What would you suggest growing in these ceramic glazed pots in full sun exposed on my patio? I would like something with a bit of height if possible and long flowering period.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,159
    It's quite normal for foliage to change colour, so I wouldn't be worried about that.
    I'd take out the other stuff though. It doesn't look happy. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 1,982
    @sharanshrubs I think your pelargonium looks fine. You could remove the tiny dead bits on the flowers if you really want to, this will keep it looking tidy but not necessary. When each flower goes over cut back the stem too. This will help more flowers to form.

Pelargoniums need very little water although last weeks weather was a challenge. Personally I like to see them in a pot on their own and not with other plants they just look better.  They are known as the best plant to grow when you go away as they can cope with very little water. Red in the leaf colour may be the heat, or if it is at the base of the plant it could be an old leaf that needs trimming off.

You say you would like some planting ideas, are you thinking of annuals or something more permanant? Not sure your pot is big enough for supporting a plant long term. Also not all glazed pots are frost proof.
  • sharanshrubssharanshrubs Maidenhead, UKPosts: 42
    Thanks.

@GardenerSuze - Something more permanant for the pots if possible. 
    These pots were sold as frostproof.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 1,982
    I have just read your other thread regarding your lavender. I assume both of these plants were chosen for a warm Patio? I did wonder about a salvia microphylla. At this time of year you will have a limited choice. Looked after well it will take you through to Autumn. @AnniD may be able to help here if you can give some idea of pot size.  There is a recent thread on them will try to find for you.

• sharanshrubssharanshrubs Maidenhead, UKPosts: 42
    Yes for a warm patio.
    Yes sorry I was thinking something I could plant even next Spring. 
    No problem I think I would still look at Salvia microphylla. Cuttings are easy to do and with care it will keep going for months. When first flush of flowers has finished trim them off and in a few weeks you will have more.I am hard pressed to think of anything else that is so long flowering.
    Think there will be loots more ideas for you from others.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,392
    "Shrubby" Salvias would be ideal in a pot on a sunny patio. 
    My only comment would be that you'd find them very different to pelargoniums in terms of flowers. Salvias tend to give more of a "cloud" effect (the best way l can describe it, sorry. It's been a long day).
    Generally speaking they'd give you colour from say late May right through to October, but in my personal experience it's probably safer to say late June onwards to be certain. 
    I move mine to the shelter of the house wall as soon as we have the danger of frost, put them up on pot feet or bricks and don't water them. It's very much Russian roulette, because a lot depends on the winter weather,  but they are easy to propagate from cuttings in late August. 

As @GardenerSuze says, the pot size will dictate whether they'll be happy or not. Bees love them, so they have more of a benefit than pelargoniums in that respect. 

There's some information here from William Dyson, who's more of an expert.
    https://www.theenglishgarden.co.uk/plants/salvia-care/

Hope this helps   :)
    @AnniD Thankyou for your imput your knowledge regarding Salvias has been useful to me too.