Forum home Problem solving

Flowering Cherry in Distress

I have a Flowering Cherry about 20-25 years old, in a beech bark border about 12ft high with a spread of 15/20ft.
I noticed that one branch at the top of the tree appeared to be dead, I removed it and found some lesions and an orange waxy substance subsequently identified as possible Gummosis. Last year was good for blossom, this year was not so good and did not last very long.
There are also several dead branches under the canopy of leaves, otherwise the tree does not look vibrant but there are no other dead leaves.
The question is what do I do, advice so far is remove all dead branches, give it a good prune, if this is correct when should it be done, I am in Southern England. Additional advice is to give it a good feed.
The question is what do I use to feed, I am told Low Nitrogen, other advice varies 5-10-10, 10-15-15, 10-10-10, 12-12-12. I have Tomato Feed, Liquid Seaweed, Liquid Seaweed +Iron, Blood Fish & Bone, Bone Meal, because of the Membrane and Beech Bark soil covering I think liquid Feed would be the best.
Can anyone please help to sort through this mass of information and give a solution to the problem, this is important as Harry (the family pussy cat) frequently climbs to the top to survey his territory.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,435
    I'm afraid your cherry is probably suffering from old age - they are not very long lived trees. I have one in a similar condition.  I don't think it will matter to the tree if you cut out dead bits or if you feed it, it is just approaching the end of its life. I'm sorry I can't offer a solution. 
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,494
    Hello there Millarific. Flowering cherries are not very long lived 20-25 years is a really good age so I suspect your tree is reaching grand old age and showing the signs of this. Feeding it would not really help the situation. You can trim off any completely dead branches to improve the aesthetic value and to prolong the 'look out' post for Harry but I do think your wonderful cherry is on its slow way out.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable