Forum home The potting shed

Can someone id these please - they came in a ‘butterfly attracting’ pack - thank you 🌸

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,071
    I reckon Mallow (Malva)
    Borage- great for freezing the flowers into ice cubes - has a cucumber taste
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,214
    I'm pretty sure the 2nd picture is borage - flowers are edible and taste a bit like cucumber. You can decorate a Pimms and lemonade with the flowers. Lots of ice in mine please...

The first one appears to be from the mallow / lavatera family but I'm not sure beyond that.😎
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,214
    SNAP!! @Pete.8 😁
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,071
    Great Minds and all that 😁
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,888
    Yes!! The borage goes mad. Mine gets to about 4ft then keels over in wind or (distant memory!) rain. Leaves are very prickly
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,893
    The pink one, as has been said is a malva, I think may be a malva sylvestris, something like 'Mystic Merlin' possibly - seems quite a common one. The borage - the flowers are nice in a herby salad as well as in Pimms
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first”