Forum home Problem solving

Rhododendron leaf problem

Hi can anyone tell what this is on my rhododendron
 and what I should do with it? Thanks

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 946
    Hi @PotteringMad,

I don't know about the brown blotches ..... but the notches on the leaf edges could be vine weevils.
    I got this on some Rhodies, and give them a drench with nematodes each April and September. The problem isn't really the damaged leaves, but damage done by the grubs to the roots.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • PotteringMadPotteringMad Posts: 84
    Hi @PotteringMad,

I don't know about the brown blotches ..... but the notches on the leaf edges could be vine weevils.
    I got this on some Rhodies, and give them a drench with nematodes each April and September. The problem isn't really the damaged leaves, but damage done by the grubs to the roots.

Bee x
    Thanks Bee, they are wee so n so’s i hate them. Its more the spots im concerned about in case its fungus of some sort. 😁
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 202
    edited 23 July
    If it is vine weevil then the problem is too small to worry about.
    The water drops on the leaves interests me.  If you sprayed them in the sun, or just rain followed by strong sunlight, then you might get leaf burn.
  • bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 518
    It’s wind or sunburn .It would droop if it was vine weevil as they attack the roots and kill it .It looks pretty upright to me ,I think it’s fine .
    bédé said:
    If it is vine weevil then the problem is too small to worry about.
    The water drops on the leaves interests me.  If you sprayed them in the sun, or just rain followed by strong sunlight, then you might get leaf burn.
    Its rain on the leaves. Weathers been really all over the place in scotland so your probably spot on re wind or sun damage, thanks 🙂
    bcpathome said:
    It’s wind or sunburn .It would droop if it was vine weevil as they attack the roots and kill it .It looks pretty upright to me ,I think it’s fine .
    thanks im thinking that too. cut off the affected leaves & its looking fine and growing new shoots so all good 👍