Forum home Fruit & veg

White Lisbon Bunching Onion - ideas please :)

Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster Posts: 935
edited July 2022 in Fruit & veg
I've not grown these before. I wanted a supply of spring onions, now OH tells me he's gone off onions :(. So now I only use them for adding to quiches and sauces every now and again. I have more than I need, and they've now fallen over, so I think I should do something.

Can I dry the bulbs like onion sets, to grow on as onions next year? I've read that next year they'll split, rather like garlic, is that right? 

Maybe I should turn them into pickles?

What would you do with them, how can I get the best out of them?

:) 

Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am! 

Cambridgeshire/Norfolk border.

• pinutpinut Posts: 187
    Unless you have at least 2 sq meters of the stuff, I would say that you haven't got enough.

I eat loads of spring onions, albeit, mostly cooked. For example, I throw in a big handful of it chopped when boiling Ramen noodles. I like it mixed in when making omelettes. I make a sauce for steamed or fried fish by gently pan frying chopped spring onions in oyster sauce (or soy sauce) with a dash of water. And, off course, spring onions make the perfect accompaniment to hoi sin sauce shredded duck rolls.

White Lisbon is a biennial and winter hardy meaning that it will flower, set seed and die off approximately in the second year if left to grow unchecked. Therefore, keep cutting all the green off about an inch above soil level so that it never completes its life cycle.

This would be harvesting by the cut and come method instead of pulling.

Yes, the bulb can be pickled. The hot pickling solution I use is 1 part malt vinegar, 3 parts water and 3 tea spoons of salt. Use a wine vinegar instead if you prefer a sweeter taste.

Regarding storing the bulb for replanting - I have not tried this but may do a small experiment just to satisfy my own curiosity.

• Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster Posts: 935
    Thank you @pinut for the inspiration! I've got about 3 sqft of them so I guess I've half enough :) 

I'll be taking notes so when inspiration lacks, I might be able to come up with something. Like eggs or potatoes, if those are in the pantry there's always a meal that can be rustled up. I chopped about 4 for dinner last evening to add to a creamy chicken fricassee, and a tin of tuna, mayo and some chopped onion, made a tasty filling for a baked potato snack the other day. But that was as far as my imagine would stretch. Love the idea of the oyster sauce for fish... so that's tonight's dinner sorted, pan fried salmon fillets with the sauce.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 86,175
    Chop and add to mashed potato to eat as it is or to make potato cakes or fish cakes.

Add to stir fries, add to soups, chop and use in an omelette, add to scrambled egg on toast, add to pasta dishes ... I think I could (and often do) use spring onions in virtually every savoury dish that I make ... any recipe that uses chives can use chopped spring onions instead ... have a look online for American dishes that use 'scallions' if you're running short of ideas ...... 

https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/scallion-recipes/

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster Posts: 935
    Chop and add to mashed potato to eat as it is or to make potato cakes or fish cakes.

Add to stir fries, add to soups, chop and use in an omelette, add to scrambled egg on toast, add to pasta dishes ... I think I could (and often do) use spring onions in virtually every savoury dish that I make ... any recipe that uses chives can use chopped spring onions instead ... have a look online for American dishes that use 'scallions' if you're running short of ideas ...... 

https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/scallion-recipes/
    Thank you Dove - imagination now fired, blockages removed..... :)