Forum home Wildlife gardening

Help identifying bee

Hi, 
I noticed this large bee yesterday, don’t remember seeing one like it in the garden before and would love to know what it is. At least I think it’s a bee. It looked like it was wearing a yellow cycling helmet.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,653
    Isn't that a hornet?
  • SlipperyElmSlipperyElm Posts: 379
    Agree.  European hornet.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,054
    It's a hornet mimic hoverfly.
    Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.
  • catrionad21E8Ym3ES1catrionad21E8Ym3ES1 Sussex coastPosts: 8
    Thanks everyone. Looking at images online, it does look more like a hornet mimic hoverfly. It was quite some size, I didn’t know that hoverflies could be so big. 
  • Desi_in_LondonDesi_in_London London regionPosts: 607
    Slightly off topic, @wild edges ( or anyone else that knows) - is there a good resource that would help me identify  wasps vs honeybees vs hoverflies ( other bees that i see look different enough) .
    I've seen some guides online , but when you see something in the park or garden it is not so obvious --- or is this impossible for a layperson? ( ie side by side the differences are clear, but not in isolation?). I'm getting better at recognising the 2 wing vs 4 wing formation but even that is really only obvious to me when things are at rest.

Kindness is always the right choice.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,653
    Thanks everyone. Looking at images online, it does look more like a hornet mimic hoverfly. It was quite some size, I didn’t know that hoverflies could be so big. 

Nor me!  Thanks @wild edges . I only see the ones that look a bit like miniature wasps.
  • Hoverflies are easy to distinguish form bees, wasps and hornets. Hoverflies have short stubby antennae in their middle of the face, while bees etc. have significantly longer antennae on top of their heads, which are lacking with the hoverfly in the photo.
  • CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 514
    This is a honeybee (sorry for sideways pic). We only have one type of honeybee in the UK and this is it. Theyre not that yellow like many hoverflies and they don't wear cycle helmets  :D. I know what you mean and all the hoverflies i see "wear" them! Honeybees are a little bit furry on their top halves, but not like a bumble. I think they look really different from hovers. @wild edges is probably going to say this is a hoverfly too now 😆, but I'm 99% sure it isnt!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554
    I find this website very useful. Lots of clear photos.

https://www.naturespot.org.uk/gallery/hoverflies

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • catrionad21E8Ym3ES1catrionad21E8Ym3ES1 Sussex coastPosts: 8
    Thank you @pansyface , this is really interesting and clearly presented info. Seeing this lovely creature in the garden has made me want to find out more about them.

@Crazybeelady - another new fact for me today. I didn’t know we have one type of honeybee in the UK. Every day is a school day. 

He/she or one of the family came back this evening and I got a better photo. It has one set of wings, I think.