Forum home Problem solving

Help with blueberry!

Hi, just noticed my blueberry plant has a funny pattern on the leaves not sure if it is scorch or just too dry! Have been giving plenty of water recently while it’s been hot. Please help! 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,545
    Not quite the same as yours, but similar.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 2,165
    Thanks pansyface, useful to know in case I get problems with my 1st year ones. 
  • Thanks, looks like could maybe be early stages of that! Will try giving it some potassium 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,075
    If the change happened during the hot weather then that will be the cause.

Is the ground it is planted in very acidic? Blueberries need a very acidic soil of below pH 5.5
    If the soil isn't below pH5.5 then your plant will not be able to access potassium and probably other nutrients, so there would be no point in giving it more as it simply can't use it.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Hi Pete, thanks for your reply! I noticed the change yesterday and don’t think it was like that the day before. I’m not too sure what the ph level of the soil is will check later after work. What can I do to raise acidity? And do you think the plant has had it or can it be saved? Thanks 
    Then I'm pretty certain it's sun scorch, and I think your plant will be fine - assuming other conditions are good for it.
    Let the damaged leaves fall naturally at the end of the season.

You can buy soil test kits which are ok (the pH probes are useless).
    If you're in England you can get an idea of your soil type by entering your postcode in the search field on this site-
    http://www.landis.org.uk/soilscapes/
    The soil in most parts of England is not suitable for them.
    If your tap water is hard, then your drip system will be dripping hard water - again not good.
    You can temporarily raise the pH using sulphur (chips or Flowers of Sulphur) but soil is a powerful buffer so the soil will soon change back to it's normal pH.

My soil is only very slightly acidic, so I have to grow them in pots with ericaceous compost. I water them only with rainwater and use a feed designed for acid-loving plants - I use Miracle Grow for Azaleas - once a month during the growing season.

They're well worth growing. I have 3 plants and have already had well over 1Kg with about 2-3Kg still to come.
    I grow mine in a netted veg. cage to keep the birds off.
    Whilst they are mostly self-fertile, growing 2 different varieties will produce more fruit on each plant.
    Sorry above I should have said that Sulphur will LOWER the pH not raise it.
  • edited 20 July
    Thanks for all the info Pete! I have one of the soil probes for testing ph and soil dampness etc, assuming that doesn’t work? I think you may be on to something with the tap water, mine is hard and I was watering them with rain water but my water butts got empty due to lack of rain so recently switched to the hose. Wondering if that could be it? It’s strange though as I have 2 blueberries next to each other and one is flourishing still whilst that one seems like all the leaves have died. 
    I hadn't noticed earlier, but I have 3 blackcurrant bushes about 5ft - almost all the leaves on 2 of them look similar to yours, the 3rd gets a little shade in the afternoon so wasn't as bad.
    I've seen many ruined mophead hydrangeas on my walks today too.
    I guess one of your bushes got more sun than the other one.

If you have no rainwater then there's not much you can do other than use the hose.
    So long as get we some rain soon, hard water shouldn't cause any problems as a temp. measure.
    I cheat and use a reverse osmosis filter to top up one of my butts just for the blueberries as a last resort - it creates something about the same as rainwater.

Re. you probe, I can only say I've had a few over the years which all indicate my soil is alkaline, whereas it is slightly acidic, but nowhere near acidic enough for blueberries.
    The kits with the little test tubes are usually ok

• Ah okay we’ll hopefully it’s just that! Will see how it does now it’s cooled down a bit, thanks!