Forum home Problem solving

Plants for a problem corner

This is the South East corner of the back garden with a closer  view of the border below the holly and conifer. The corner behind the strip of sunlight is dedicated to wildlife, i.e it's a mass of nettles and weeds  and is in permanent shade. Quite happy to leave it alone. 

My gardening knowledge is non-existent and i would like advice on perennials suitable for the rest of the border, ideally of varying heights anfdflowering times.

An early summer problem is that the holly sheds a lot of dead leaves.

The central bed will be a variety of heathers.   

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,064
    Can you tell us whereabouts you are as that affects climate and the plants that will do well.  Do you have any colour preferences,

Before you plant anything, including the heathers, I think you need to do some work on your soil by forking it over to open it up and remove any weed roots and then improving it with organic matter such as ericaceous compost for the heathers.

For the border along the fence some well-rotted garden compost or bought in soil improver will do and then wait for rain or be prepared to water everything, including the heathers, thoroughly before and after planting and then at least once a week thru dry spells till established.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Grandad 99Grandad 99 Posts: 38
    Mid Kent.  A couple of months ago I added 2 bags of ericaceous compost to the centre bed.

No rush, will wait until the rains come
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,064
    edited 20 July
    Just looking at it I think you may need more for the heathers.  When you buy them, think about mixing winter and summer flowering heathers so there is a longer source of nectar for insects.

For the border, here are a few hardy perennials which are easy care and will give a range of height, spread and colour.  Do improve the soil before planting so they get a good start and try and plant them in groups of 3s and 5s to form groups rather than having a dotty effect.  Interplant with spring bulbs such as crocus and daffodils to provide early interest while the perennials are still lurking underground in winter and early spring.

Hardy geraniums for clump forming ground cover – flower colours from white thru pinks, purples and blues.

Crocosmia for taller spiky foliage and red, orange, yellow colour contrast.

Leucanthemum/Shasta daisy for medium tall, white daisy flowers

Alstromeria/Peruvian lily – umbels of flowers over many weeks and in a variety of colours

Saxifraga – many forms of low growing ground cover foliage with light frothy flower stems, mostly whites and pinks

Michaelmas daisies for late summer colour.

Hellebores for winter foliage and very early flowers for pollinators.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw