Forum home Problem solving

Lillies with 18 petals ?!

Hi all 

I'm fairly a novice gardener but for the last 3 years I've taken a love into all types of lillium/lillies. The white ones in the photo I'd originally planted the bulbs 3 years ago. Removing from the soil/compost every year during winter and then re potting. Most of my bulbs this year were huge and have multiplied. Some to 4 times the original size. Should I be dividing the bulb every year or is this  normal after 3 years growth as they only started with the standard 6 petals in the first year. 

Thanks again Lauren

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,170
    The bulb will have small offsets which can be detached and grown on to flowering size, but you cannot divide an actual lily bulb.   You have a double flowered form.  Carry on doing what you have been doing.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • The bulb will have small offsets which can be detached and grown on to flowering size, but you cannot divide an actual lily bulb.   You have a double flowered form.  Carry on doing what you have been doing.
    Thank you very much. I will detached this year then the ones that are offsets 

Lauren