Forum home Problem solving

Bug

lizzykincaidelizzykincaide Croydon Posts: 88
I found this bug on my nemesia. Should I be worried? What is it?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,496
    I think it’s a Shield Bug or an Instar (a developmental stage of Shield Bugs). There are lots of different sorts. 
    Hopefully @wild edges  or someone who knows more will be along with more info soon. 

We love them … they’re such handsome creatures. 

Googling reveals all sorts of worrying stuff about ‘Stink Bugs’ and damage to plants but that relates to the USA. The ones in the UK do little if any damage and are simply part of the amazing ecosystems in our gardens. 

Enjoy 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,376
    One of the shield bugs,I think. I wouldn't worry.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568
    Never be worried by the appearance of wildlife in the garden. Their future is our future
  • Desi_in_LondonDesi_in_London London regionPosts: 600
    It is one of the larval stages ( instars ) of the green shield bug - I'm guessing 1st or 2nd skin shedding in -- as they mature they get to more evenly green in colour  ( vs green and black).  
    Kindness is always the right choice.
  • februarysgirlfebruarysgirl LeicesterPosts: 571
    Just to be completely frivolous, is it me or do the markings look like a cyclops smiley face emoji?
  • ShepsSheps West YorkshirePosts: 1,206
    @februarysgirl having just looked up what a Cyclops Smiley Face emoji is, I'd have to agree.