Forum home Problem solving

Sad looking Star Jasmine

This was planted about 2 months ago, has flowered and was looking healthy. Not sure if it’s due to the change in the temperature but it’s looking very sad with the flowers drying out and the leaves turning browny red. Is anyone else having a problem with jasmine with this heat? Or is there a deficiency that I need to rectify? It is being watered every day in this heat.  Any advice would be appreciated.  

• Mrs_MigginsMrs_Miggins Posts: 47
    No advice as mine is the same, and in a large pot. My neighbours have them in a slightly less sunny spot (east or west as opposed to south east) and in the ground and they are all amazing.

so im not sure how well they fare with full sun if thats where they are. And pots. I fed mine a couple of years ago and managed to get a couple of flowers from it but ultimately it needs to come out of the pot and into the ground. And out of the most sunny spot. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,102
    Star Jasmine is evergreen and they do shed some of the older leaves during summer. Leaves don't last forever.
    They are sun-lovers and should thrive in a sunny position if it's planted in good soil and well watered.
    An occasional feed with tomato fertilizer when the buds are forming will help with more flowers.
    It may just be that yours is coming to the end of the flowering period for this year.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DaisypicDaisypic Posts: 68
    Thanks Pete.8, it is in the sun and planted in the ground so fingers crossed it is coming to it’s the end of its flowering, hence the reason it’s not looking too happy! Is it normal though for the leaves to go this colour? 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,102
    I can only see the leaves in your photo, but yes they will loose some of the older leaves during summer.
    If the newer leaves look good, it's just getting rid of the old leaves that are worn out.
    After flowering they send out long, thin new growth which you can either tie in or cut off.
    The most important thing though is to keep it well hydrated, especially if you're sharing this heatwave!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DaisypicDaisypic Posts: 68
    Pete.8 said:
    I can only see the leaves in in your photo, but yes they will loose some of the older leaves during summer.
    If the newer leaves look good, it's just getting rid of the old leaves that are worn out.
    After flowering they send out long, thin new growth which you can either tie in or cut off.
    The most important thing though is to keep it well hydrated, especially if you're sharing this heatwave!
    Thanks, thats reassuring and yes we are sharing the heatwave, a bit too hot though isn’t it!