Forum home Problem solving

Agapanthus not flowering

Last year my agapanthus in a pot flowered like crazy, it was placed in sunny border. The small plant didn't flower. Brought into greenhouse for winter as not deciduous. This year larger plant not a sign of a flower but the smaller plant has one! What can I do to ensure flowers next year?

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,883
    you had the agapanthus in a pot,then you planted it in a border, then you dug it up and over wintered it in a green house,well,they don't particularly like being moved,ours are kept pretty pot bound. I have a few that aren't hardy, but have forgotten to put them in the green house over winter,they have survived and flowered. Did you feed them,?
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 2,147
    I was going to ask the same question Nanny Beach. I'm fairly new to growing them and have both evergreen and not. All mine are in pots. I was told that they needed feeding every week from spring onwards to build up the energy to flower well the following year. I did this last year and mine are just coming into flower with lots of buds. Needless to say, I started feeding them late spring this year for next year. 
  • GrajeanGrajean Posts: 374
    Nanny Beach, The agapanthus are kept in pots all the time and completely fill the pots, not fed so far this summer.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,361
    feeding and watering AFTER flowering time is critical for next year's flowers
    Devon.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,883
    Hello Hosta,yes,you need to build up a reserve in the bulb for the following year,ours are all evergreen.The little one is out,I think it's Blue Peter, the big blue and white not quite out yet. They don't like being waterlogged. So you didn't actually put it in the border then