Forum home The potting shed

Potato Cough

Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster In the Cambs FensPosts: 527
Do you coughs when you scrape the new skin off potatoes? To a degree I hadn't really noticed this before, but this year it's particularly bothersome.

Tomatoes can cause the same reaction, which might be why I can't say I like them unless they are cooked or processed. It's the same with peppers, they can repeat for a week!

BTW I can't drink vodka either.

It's just so fascinating how our body works.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317886#who-might-get-a-potato-allergy

Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am! 

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,299
    Yes scraping new spuds always makes me cough. Worth it for the taste. 
    AB Still learning

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,962
    Try cooking with the skins on and just rinse them first, more nutritious as well!
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,508
    My brother in law is allergic to the skins of potatoes.
    Instead of scraping them try boiling with the skins on and then slipping them out of the skins when they are cooked, no spores in the air then.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,071
    Scrape them in a bowl of water - maybe that would work..

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    I usually scrape them wet if I'm not cooking them in the skins. That might help to stop anything floating into the air.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,564
    Cook, then peel afterwards.  The best part of the potato is just under the skin. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    I prefer new potatoes cooked in the skins (all potatoes really, unless they're scabby), but OH prefers them scraped/peeled except jackets so I sometimes indulge him.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,299
    Lyn said:
    Cook, then peel afterwards.  The best part of the potato is just under the skin. 
    Yes that's well known but apparently new potato skin (the thin papery stuff) is toxic. They seem to loose this effect later in the season when the skins set. Remember potatoes are related to deadly nightshade. Never eat them if there is any green  on them. 
    AB Still learning

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,594
    edited 17 July
    I have not heard if that before. What I do have is a blasted birch allergy, which is getting stronger. These days I get a reaction to eating apples, cherries, peaches and nectarines and other fruit related. My throat starts to close up,😡 not in a threatening  manner, but I can feel the restriction.   I get it with most raw nuts too, esp hazelnuts - which have a birch relation. A right royal PITA. I love cherries and am getting wary of trying. I’ve always had the raw nut reaction, itchy , aggravated throat, but peaches !?! 🤬

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,594
    I thought this table was interesting. Maybe your potato reaction is related to the foods/grass allergy.