Forum home› Problem solving

Name of this flower. Looked on the web. Closest I can find is a balloon flower 🌸

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,075
    It certainly looks very similar
    Here's one of mine atm - I have them in blue, pink and white.
    I note the flower on yours has 4 pointy bits (not sure if that's the right term..) mine has 5, but otherwise looks identical.
    If you deadhead, or snap a leaf off there's a sticky white milky substance comes out

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,641
    As far as I know it's a type of Campanula. They are lovely.
  • ObelixxObelixx VendĂ©e, Western FrancePosts: 28,062
    Well, the flower form and leaves look right but I've only ever seen blue or white platycodons and usually with 5 petals.  

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/13246/platycodon-grandiflorus/details

I like yours, whatever it is.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,641
    Oh, I think you're right @Obelixx, I knew there was a similar looking flower but couldn't think of the name off-hand.

How's the knee doing?
  • This is interesting. I found the root in the garden. Nearly ended in the compost. Still hope to solve what plant it could be . 
  • ObelixxObelixx VendĂ©e, Western FrancePosts: 28,062
    Fine thanks @Lizzie27.  I'll post something on the RTBC thread so as not to hijack this one.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,075
    I'm pretty certain it is a variety of platycodon (Balloon Flower).
    They die back in the winter and pop up again in late spring from the underground root.
    I started off with a blue one and now I have pink and white too as they self seed quite happily.
    The only thing I don't like about them is when the flower is finished it stays put and looks tatty, so needs to be cut off.
    The white sap can be a skin irritant.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.