Forum home Plants

Anthony Dryden

I am interested to know what you all think of the position that the gardening, so called experts have taken regarding peat compost especially gardeners world and their presenters? As far as I’m concerned peat free compost is total rubbish and our reasons for changing to it spurious at best, why has Canada completely dismissed our concerns and continue to use peat. It’s fine for these presenters to insist we use peat free compost, I’m presuming they all probably get theirs for free and probably most of their plants,while us mere mortals pay for everything and then when everything is unsuccessful !(because we’ve bought cheap B&Q compost ) They are probably laughing and saying you should have spent your pension on a good compost, come on guys let’s get back to good old peat !! That’s my opinion and no one will change it after 3 very unsuccessful years of using the new and supposedly better compost HA!

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,929
    Not a new debate as there are numerous threads dealing with this subject.  I don't think you are alone in being disappointed with some of the Peat Free composts available.
    Many of the composts which contain peat are also getting a bad press.
    Whilst you say you aren't inclined to change your opinion, it may be worth your while to have a look thru the various threads on this subject as people have found some PF compost to be good.
    Best of luck finding something suitable for your needs :)
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,617
    edited 15 July
    I am interested to know what you all think of peat compost... let’s get back to good old peat !! That’s my opinion and no one will change it

So why ask?

Melcourt is one great peat-free brand. There are others.

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,333
    edited 15 July
    Look at how the landscape in Ireland has been destroyed by the peat industry. It's heartbreaking.  
    A whole ecological system was destroyed for fuel and so that you could grow a few plants in your garden.

P.S. Sylvagrow, which I think is melcourt is a perfect substitute
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I wondered how long it would take the eco zealots to start
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,333
    Not guilty, I'm afraid. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I thought I was on a gardening forum and expected comments on gardening!
  • Maybe you are right and we all have our own opinions but mine are coming from my own observations on gardening. I suggest these people check out what the Canadians are doing regarding their peat bogs and maybe if the Irish had done the same they wouldn’t have caused the problem they have now! Only my opinion and I’m not looking for arguments just other peoples observations on Gardening with peat and the rubbish we are sold now!
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,929
    I thought I was on a gardening forum and expected comments on gardening!
    No - you didn't pose a query re gardening as such.  You asked what others thought about Peat free compost -  the inference being that you would welcome others opinions altho you were unlikely to be swayed by them.
    If you have a problem with the experts/presenters/Canada et al then the best thing would be to put your query directly to them.
    I think @Fire has made the situation quite clear.