Forum home Problem solving

How do commercial growers and/or supermarkets keep radishes so fresh?

MikeOxgreenMikeOxgreen PenninesPosts: 144
Note: This isn't how to keep them fresh or freshen them up, I can Google that.

How do commercial growers or Supermarkets stop their radishes from going soft?
If you buy radish from the supermarket they stay firm and crispy for ages, a week at least. If you buy from a farm shop or pick your own from the garden they go dull and rubbery overnight.

So what are they doing to them?

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,921
    The temperature they store them at ?  Buying bagged or loose ?
    My home grown radish last longer than a day/night as will my beetroot.
    When I buy beetroot from organic farm shop, I can rely on 3 days ( or 4 at a push ) before they begin to feel a bit soft.  Not much difference from SM bought when I think about it. Still cook well at that stage.

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,577
    I have had the experience with buying crunchy SM radish and then loose organic ones that go soft in a day. If you are thinking of ones that come in sealed plastic bags, then the bags may have something that absorbs or mitigates ethylene.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,921
    Fire said:
    I have had the experience with buying crunchy SM radish and then loose organic ones that go soft in a day. If you are thinking of ones that come in sealed plastic bags, then the bags may have something that absorbs or mitigates ethylene.

Rather like the Salad Bags the SM's sell I think @Fire ? They "puff" something in there to keep the leaves fresh/crisp.
    I suppose usually if you grow your own, you would pick for that day's lunch/dinner so always fresh and no time to deteriorate.
    Bit like walking round the garden/GH and scoffing half the fresh Toms before you even get back indoors to prepare the salad :D

Rather like the Salad Bags the SM's sell I think @Fire ? They "puff" something in there to keep the leaves fresh/crisp.

Possibly. Just guessing. Whatever they do helps radish keep very well
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,328
    Radishes sold in supermarkets are usually sold in ‘protective atmosphere’ bags … however they also have had their leaves removed. 

Radishes sold on market stalls etc usually still have their leaves attached … these continue to draw  on moisture from the radish root so the roots soften. 

Seemples 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Radish without leaves soften and shrink. But you might expect that.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,307
    Two weeks ago , my husband brought home some roses that a mate who works in the trade offered him. They were not up to standard for sale. Anyway, two weeks on, they're doing alright. It makes me wonder how old  the flowers you buy in the supermarket really are.
    Nice red. ridiculously long stems and no smell. Not ideal😒
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,545
    edited 15 July
    You could dance a tango while holding one between your teeth. 😊

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TytGOeiW0aE

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,307
    I keep my fridge very cold. Most vegetables last a long time. Whether or not nutrients are lost I don't know.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,328
    edited 15 July
    Fire said:
    Radish without leaves soften and shrink. But you might expect that.
    Not if they’re in an airtight container. 😊 

https://kitchenlily.com/store-radishes/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh