Forum home Plants

Alliums

arneilarneil Northern Ireland Posts: 270
Do I dead head my Alliums ? I have leaving the seed heads on for the decorative effect , but a lot haven’t come back this year , so I was wondering was that why ?

• CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 501
    Just give them a gentle tug and I should think they will come straight out of the ground at this time of year. The bulbs will remain underground for next year. 
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 1,956
    Sometimes the bulbs become smaller or you find two small bulbs where you planted one. These smaller bulbs can struggle to flower. The seed head are lovely and dry well. 
  • arneilarneil Northern Ireland Posts: 270
    Thank you , so tug them out rather than cut them off 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,040
    No.  I cut mine so there's no possible damage to the bulb below.  Removing the spent flowers before the y set seed allows energy to be concentrated back to the bulb for next year's flowers but many people like to let the seed heads develop as they are attractive and dry well.

Your choice.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • arneilarneil Northern Ireland Posts: 270
    Thank you , I might cut some ( I think I am better at cutting ) and leave some ! 
    It the great big Alliums that are sparse in coming back , the smaller ones are multiplying  Again , thanks for all the replies xx