Forum home Plants

Quick annuals to fill a bare patch.

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,332
Hi all any suggestions for quick growing annuals to fill a small bare patch of soil where poppies were? I have cut poppies back hard some regrowth but not enough. Area is only about 2 foot square but right by garden bench so I notice it. 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,422
    The garden centres may still have some annuals for filling in gaps.
    It's a good plan to grow something like cosmos or cleome or annual rudbeckia in pots and just pop them into spaces as they occur.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,400
    I've done that with cornflowers and Californian poppies @debs64, but the idea of filling in with bedding plants being sold off is a good one (if there are any left at the GC). 
    Maybe a combination of both.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,342
    edited 15 July
    Night scented stock grow pretty quickly but it would still be a couple of months before they flowered.
    Not flowers, but how about radishes. They're really quick.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,332
    Thanks all I may look around for something at the garden centre. Went to one on Monday got 10 good sized lavender plants for £10 so there are bargains to be had obviously. Just want a splash of colour hoping the poppies come back next year. 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    I was in the big Tesco this morning and they had trays of petunias and a few other bedding that looked new in (nice and healthy). I didn't look too closely but bought a low-ish verbena (Santos purple) and a penstemon (white flower on it although labelled Apple Blossom, so either the label is wrong or the heat has affected it) for £5 each and a pink Scaevola for £3 - all decent-sized pots.