Forum home Problem solving

Salvia 9cm potted

I am considering purchasing these and was wondering, will I get them into the ground this year or will I be potting them up until next year? I live in the South East, so not particularly cold winters. t i a

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,021
    You need to be more specific. What species of Salvia are they?
    Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,654
    And what's your soil like?
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,655
    The only ones I'd say definitely should be potted up would be the slightly tender ones (Salvia 'Amistad', 'Love and Wishes' etc). In fact I don't grow those ones in the ground at all, because they always seem to get attacked by slugs when they come up in spring.

Hardy ones can go in the ground if you like, but they will need to have space around them maintained free of weeds and competing plants. (I've made the mistake of planting 9cm stock and then allowing them to be swamped by existing plants - causing them to wither away or be eaten by slugs out of sight!)

Whether potted on or in the ground, you'll need to keep on top of watering.
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 770
    @punkdoc, @JennyJ, @Loxley, Thank you for your replies, apologies for not mentioning specifics. I am looking at the likes of Salmon dance, Angel wings, Joy, Royal Bumble etc, I can't get enough of them! :) I am on chalky soil. 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,654
    If the soil is well-drained (chalk often is) and they won't be sitting with wet feet all winter, you could plant them now and they should be established by autumn. They like sun and good drainage but like any new plant they do need watering until they've got their roots out into the soil.
  • Kate 7Kate 7 Posts: 341
    I go for belt and braces approach. They are so easy from cuttings that I always overwinter some rooted cuttings in an unheated glasshouse. I also put any in large pots undercover over winter. Those left in my soil usually die though last winter was very mild and most survived. Wonderful plants.