Forum home The potting shed

that close, heavy, claustrophobic weather. What is it?

13»

• borgadrborgadr Posts: 704
    edited July 2022
    @Fire can it be possibly about higher nighttime temperatures - meaning you don't cool off and sleep well at night, then by day you feel unrefreshed and washed out and the heat then just bothers you more and feels all the more relentless?

Just a guess from me - no expertise involved!  But definitely you have much warmer nights and early mornings in London than we do out in the sticks.
  • FireFire Posts: 18,068
    No, it's more the feeling of "thunder coming"  with no cloud or thunder
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 5,159
    Headaches and feeling blergh are associated with pressure and humidity but if your symptoms don’t seem to correlate then maybe it is more to do with dehydration or even another trigger like food, hormones or air quality. 

Sinus congestion, or even an allergy could be to blame too. 

I hope it doesn’t do that ‘close’ thing as it hots-up this weekend. I often have a headache just before it thunders (so due Tuesday night here). 

Keep cool and hydrated folks. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,064
    Nothing ‘close’ here,  we’ve had to shut the door as the wind is quite chilly and one of the doors just slammed shut in the wind.
    I’m sure the hot weather will only last a couple of weeks,  we used to have lovely hots summers shat seemed to go on and on,  or was that just young person I me falsely  remembering. 
    I couldn’t plant anything out until mid June,  now it’s only mid July and people are complaining,  big, big story on the news! 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

London looks like it will be closing on 40oC next week. Records sure to be broken. Quite a bit hotter than Jamaica at the moment.
    I think my conclusion is that things are - as ever - complicated. There is lot more to 'weather' and 'room feel' than given air pressure weather site stats and given air pressure stats. There must be a tonne of other factors at play.

I'm currenly sitting in apparently  60% humidity (not very high) with a breeze and regular pressure stated and it feels like Singapore; we're swimming through the air. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,669
    My "local" weather app gives air quality, likelihood of mozzies,air pressure,clarity