Forum home Plants

ID please

widgetwilk annwidgetwilk ann North NorfolkPosts: 355
Just been given this and do not know what it is, think it is an indoor plant, has tiny mauve flower, help needed

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,085
    Ophiopogon planiscapus
    I've had a patch for 20 years or more in my garden - very hardy :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • widgetwilk annwidgetwilk ann North NorfolkPosts: 355
    Thank you so much 
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,947
    Agree - Ophiopogon p nigrescens.  I grow them outside alongside the likes of the small Sissyrinchiums, House leeks and similar.  The black makes a nice contrast.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,641
    I agree. It's hardy, not an indoor plant. It will clump up in a few years if you plant it in the ground, and then you can easily lift it, split it into pieces and replant if you want to make an edging of it, or fill a bigger area.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 2,028
    Doesn't like it very dry leaves can turn brown. Tiny lilac flowers then tiny black berries.
    Also evergreen lovely with dark red heucheras. I have it growing either side of a path.

Thank you all, as it's been potted around lately, might put it in a larger pot over winter outside, and found out where to put it next spring.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 2,028
    Very slow growing.
    Does anyone know if wildlife eat it, like deer or rabbits, my daughter has a large garden and tries so hard but has a lot of deer rabbits peacocks and any amount of what else is around, so is always looking for plant wildlife don't like.
    edited 13 July
    I have know slugs to have a nibble. It is a member of the lily family?