Forum home Problem solving

Potential pests?

rustragerustrage Posts: 7
edited 13 July in Problem solving
Hello all, hoping someone might have had a similar issue to me!

Basically I have a garden shed on a wooden frame, over the past fortnight I've noticed some soil on the gravel around the shed and it looks like it's coming through a small (roughly 3/4-1 inch) gap between the shed itself and the frame it's mounted to.

My main concern is that it's rats or something nesting underneath, although there's no real signs like droppings etc in the garden. I've tried to get a look under there but the gaps too small so can't see anything noticeable. Just wondering if anyone has had any similar experience or has any ideas what to do?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,317
    Hello @rustrage and welcome to the forum  :)

Can you upload some photos so we can try to spot some clues?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• rustragerustrage Posts: 7
    Hey, thank you. Yeah sure, I know they filled the space underneath with the dirt removed to fit the posts, which this seems to be. I did wonder if it was just dry due to the weather and falling out but think I'm kidding myself there! 😂
    Any holes under the little piles of earth?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Nah nothing, I can see. Can see the mesh in the soil from the turf they'd dug out to fit the shed too, so confident it's coming through the gap. Wonder if it's worth just blocking it off, even temporarily to see what happens.
    Really not clear but I can see this under there looking now. 
    Have you noticed any moles about in the area?

Nah other than birds haven't seen any wildlife. It's a fairly new estate so a bit scarce of wildlife, although I'm only 50m from a farm so no doubt they're around.
    There were some recent posts starting on Page 2 of this thread which shows photos with some similarities 
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/989182/small-earth-mounds-on-lawn/p2 

What do you think?

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 1,972
    A friend had rats in her shed but it was during the winter months. They had both a way in and another route out. They ate through a plastic jar of bird food. They did access under the shed. We have put our shed on slabs and also compost bins for that reason.
    There were some recent posts starting on Page 2 of this thread which shows photos with some similarities 
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/989182/small-earth-mounds-on-lawn/p2 

What do you think?
    Thank you! Will have to keep an eye out and see if I see anything similar. Appreciate your help.