Forum home The potting shed

Love Hate relationship with plants

2»

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 16,424
    Orchids. Phals.
  • WhereAreMySecateursWhereAreMySecateurs LutonPosts: 715
    Probably lavender. Love the appearance of the various types, love seeing bees in and out of it, and like how it looks as a hedge. But the smell of it- I like it, then it suddenly overpowers and nauseates me. If I get too big a gulp of it in the garden, I am sick.

Bedding geraniums and mint sometimes affect me the same way but not so often.
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,839
    For me, gladiolus, beautiful blooms and colours, then the bottom bits die before the rest of the stem blooms. Very frustrating, then.... They flop all over. 😱😅
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 861
    Same thing with the foxgloves and other”spiders”, unless you have wonderful wide beds and can plant something reasonably tall to hide the tatty bits…. Love the flowers but hate the tatty leaves and spent bottoms. Same with the Lillie’s, gorgeous when in flower then increasingly tatty foliage whilst they die back.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,203
    when foxgloves go over I either leave them to set seed if I want them to spread or I pull them up -  the biennial ones anyway.   If they're perennial I remove the spent flower stems and the plant dies back much more gracefully whilst the foliage gets the opportunity to build up the root system.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 16,424
    I find lavender beautiful and nauseating too. 
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 861
    Lol just re read my post and realized the spell checker struck again.  I meant to say “spikers “ as in plants that throw up flower spikes, but the iPad decided I really wanted to talk about spiders…🕷🕸