Forum home Problem solving

Young rowan tree

planted a young rowan tree earlier in the year. It looked great for a while. It started dying off and we found out that in the heavy clay it had become waterlogged. We took it out and replanted in compost. Unfortunately it hasn’t improved. The ends of the branches have almost all died off and the leaves have either died or dying. Can I bring it back or is it too late 

• PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,289
    Rowans prefer free draining soil and will suffer in waterlogged clay as you have seen.  I'd try to move it if you have a better position in your garden, using a mix of garden soil or shop bought topsoil and organic material such as garden compost, farmyard manure or soil conditioner.  Keep the soil moist but not waterlogged and see if it improves over the next few weeks.
  • JuneoJuneo Posts: 8
    Should I cut off all the dead branches. They are dying from the tips
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,289
    If you are sure the branches are dead (no green tissue when you scrape the bark), I'd remove the tips back to healthy wood.  If the tree recovers, you may need to re-shape it with some additional pruning at a later date, possibly by removing some lower branches to raise the crown.