Forum home Problem solving

Triffids(!) growing in my lawn

I have lots of deep rooted plants growing in my lawn.  The roots are very deep and are continuing to spread under my lawn.  I have not worked out what it is or where it is coming from and how to get rid of it.  Any help eagerly sought ! 

• bernlyonsbernlyons Posts: 4

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,163
    A nearby fruit tree? like a cherry or plum?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    I have ruled out Japanese knotweed! 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,573
    I agree with @fidgetbones - they look like suckers from a cherry or plum tree.  They often have horizontal roots quite near the surface, and if these are damaged they respond by sending up a sucker.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    Thank you both.  If it is a cherry or plum - do you know how I solve it as they are popping up all over my lawn now 😢 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,163
    You can either do what you have done, pull it up , or just keep mowing. They won't survive mowing.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,519
    Just keep mowing regularly. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,644
    Try to find out where the tree is that they're coming from. If they're from an old stump that's been cut down, you could use weedkiller if you wanted to. Something specifically for lawns - anything else will kill the grass too.