Forum home Fruit & veg

Bush tomato tumbling tom

Red mapleRed maple YorkshirePosts: 273
I’m growing these in a trough inside a plastic greenhouse in my South East facing garden.
Ive got lots of fruits developing, but am finding that as they start to ripen, they are splitting.
I tend to water them well in the evening each day when the sun has moved towards the front garden. I have grown them successfully in previous years, so am wondering what might be causing them to split as they ripen? They’ve had a tomato feed, but are due another one as it’s a couple of weeks or so since the last one. Perhaps I should be watering them twice daily - it does get very hot mid day, especially at the moment, so perhaps a morning drink whilst it’s still cool, then an evening one as I have been doing? I’m giving them plenty of air, opening the zip up door each morning & only closing again at night.
Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong will be gratefully received.

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,405
    Now is the time to roll up that door and leave it open.
    Splitting is caused when the fruit skin ripens and sets ( can be before it colours up) and then the fruit absorbs more water without anywhere to go, so splits. This year being so hot is making things move faster, thus the fruits are setting their skins early. They may not look as pretty but are still eatable, just not as good to keep. Steady watering is best, daily when hot and every other day when more normal summer temps. I only feed once a week in summer.

• Red mapleRed maple YorkshirePosts: 273
    Thank you thank you for your reply purplerallim. I’ve left the door rolled up all day, will just roll it down at night, though leave it unzipped a bit, then back up first thing in the morning. Out of interest, when would you water yours - evening or first thing? I’m assuming that doing it first thing will just mean it evaporates away as the temperature rises (it reached 30 degrees this afternoon), so probably evening will be better?
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,405
    No you will force your tomatoes if you close the door overnight,  even a bit. From now until the night temps get into single figures it should stay open. As for watering morning or night is ok, I sometimes water in the morning if I'm  not able to in the evening,  especially as I suffer from hay fever which means no going out at Twilight for me.🙂
  • Red mapleRed maple YorkshirePosts: 273
    Thank you, I’ll do that.