Forum home Problem solving

Urgent Help Needed! ~ Automatic Irrigating System for Border (Hozelock or anything!)

I don't have a big garden. But I'm a bit lost at the moment for how to keep my plants alive when we go away in less than two weeks time for a whole month!

My garden is long but narrow. Last year, I set up a Hozelock Easy Drip System with one of their automatic timer. But it was a fairly new border and was only just about 1/2 covered. So the line was running with 25m supply hose with the end of the line barely delivered much due to the pressure drop. 

This year, I have nearly the entire border covered with young(ish) plants. I bought a new 20m supply hose with the intention to join this with the one I've used last year. But just reading their instruction on their website. It's not recommended to run a single line longer than 25m due to the pressure drop! (How could I have not known!!!)

Anyway, now I'm not sure what option I have to cover the other half of the border. I thought of a few options, but would need some advice from people who have experience with this.

1) Run a separate water line, with a split two-way valve and a second independent automatic timer to run it. 

2) I struggle to find any "Selection" Hozelock Timer on the market - all sold out, except for one which would cost about £40. (I bought mine last year with only £25.) So I'm thinking to buy another brand instead, e.g. 

Kazeila 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086PMZ6LK/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1

3) Or I'm also thinking if the timer I have can be connected t the tap directly and then with the split valve mounted on. This way, I can use only one timer to run two separate lines. But then I don't know if the connections would work.

4) My another unknown is that I don't know if the water pressure can cope with running a second waterline without affecting the pressure of the original one. It sounds counter-intuitive. But I would think my garden is probably not even 1/3 of a medium size garden. If other people can manage with on tap to set similar system up, there must be a viable way.

I emailed Hozelock mentioning the pressure issue. But that's before I read about the 25m one line restriction.

Could someone having experience with this sort of thing provide some ideas?

Would absolutely appreciate it! (I'm completed stressed out at the moment with the heat wave adding to the importance of watering.)

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 2,047
    Do you have any kind neighbours who could help?
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,974
    Have a look at "Oyas" on line. You can make your own with terracotta flower pots of different sizes, no need to buy expensive ones, and maybe a kind neighbour could top them up while you are away.
  • rolanda.woorolanda.woo Posts: 93
    edited 11 July
    Do you have any kind neighbours who could help?
    Yes I do. But it will be too much work for a month. I would rather not burden her on a daily basis for a month.
  • rolanda.woorolanda.woo Posts: 93
    floralies said:
    Have a look at "Oyas" on line. You can make your own with terracotta flower pots of different sizes, no need to buy expensive ones, and maybe a kind neighbour could top them up while you are away.
    That sounds interesting. I will look it up and see if it can work for my border. Thank you!
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,484
    This timer https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-watering-timer/579pt is cheap (£17) so I would add one of these on a split line with different timings so that each side gets maximum supply pressure.