Forum home The potting shed

Dog walkers

I find it unbelievable that some people insist on dragging their poor dogs around in this heat. Apart from dehydration & heat stroke, I'm fed up of seeing veterinary photos of burnt paws from walking on pavements. 
Just why? 😢

• WhereAreMySecateursWhereAreMySecateurs LutonPosts: 605
    There may be special circs. A couple of French bulldogs of my acquaintance (my dogs' playmates) only relieve themselves at the park and refuse to use the garden- their owners actually do have to take them out several times a day.

I live right by a dog park and have seen very few dogs today. Mine went at 6am, met a spaniel and that was all.
  • janetfossjanetfoss The Dales areaPosts: 220
    If folk walked around the place in bare feet, maybe they would have some idea about the discomfort their pet dogs experience.
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 562
    @janetfoss yes, and a coat & hat!
    My feet were burning on the patio after a few seconds. 
    janetfoss said:
    If folk walked around the place in bare feet, maybe they would have some idea about the discomfort their pet dogs experience.
    Yes but it doesn't really give much idea. We can get cool far more easily and sweat everywhere through most of our skin. We are also far less likely to overhydrate when we do get to a water source.

• KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,850
    Our niece's dog is almost uncontrollable if he doesn't get a walk. He goes absolutely hyper at every movement. They do have a park opposite them which helps.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,338
    Around here dogs get walked either early or late people seem to understand that hot pavement isn’t good for dogs feet. I don’t have a dog but a large bowl of clean water sits at the end of my drive in this weather and walkers seem happy to let their dogs drink. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,058
    Our street gets full sun for most of the day so I can't take the dog out. There's a nice cool woods with a stream right up the road but wet paws on hot tarmac can burn faster than dry ones. I've seen plenty of dog walkers pass by today though.
    Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 562
    Bless you @debs64
    KT I'm afraid that's a training issue.  
  • KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,850
    Slow-worm said:
    Bless you @debs64
    KT I'm afraid that's a training issue.  

Training issue or not, it is a problem which they are currently only able to address by taking him for a walk.
    More likely to be breed specific than a training problem. A chow chow is likely to be content on a cool couch all day- one chows I know needs bribing before she'll go for a walk in any weather. A border collie, working cocker or other active breed would be beside herself without any of the exercise or mental stimulation that a walk affords.