Forum home Plants

Hebe Green Globe/Emerald Green

sharanshrubssharanshrubs Maidenhead, UKPosts: 42
Are Hebe Green Globe/Hebe Emerald Green readily available from local garden centres? At what time of year are they usually available please? I would really like to buy local rather than order online. 

• sharanshrubssharanshrubs Maidenhead, UKPosts: 42
    sorry ignore 'readily available'. I meant 'usually'!
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 2,058
    @sharanshrubsNow is as good a time as any. The only thing I would say is there are so many perhaps a call to Nursery or GC first would save on petrol.Also it's not wise to plant out anything in a drought. 
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,902
    We bought ours from Aldi.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 2,058
    edited 10 July
    Aldi, even better! I would add check the plants are in good health both supermarkets and GC's are struggling to keep things watered.
  • sharanshrubssharanshrubs Maidenhead, UKPosts: 42
    Thank you all. I will try Aldi! 
  • SYinUSASYinUSA Georgia, USAPosts: 79
    Silly question, but how do you pronounce hebe? Is it one syllable (heeb) or two (hee-bee)?
  • AstroAstro Posts: 366
    I've bought them from B&Q for about  £6 if I remember right.

I usually hear Hebe pronounced hee bee.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,423
    edited 11 July
    Hee bee for me as well  @SYinUSA   :)
  • Tam_ThumbTam_Thumb Forfar, ScotlandPosts: 44
    I bought 2 hebe red edge from my local garden centre, planted them 2m apart and kept them watered, 1 took fine the other just started to die off, not a clue why it did that, got a hebe caledonia from B&M to replace it with and it's taken off and there's flowers on it already.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,967
    They are a great little evergreen shrub, I’m very pleased with mine and they seem to be coping with heat and drought very well: