Forum home Plants

Is this a honeysuckle?

EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 1,103
I had planted this, may be 2-3 years ago, to fill this trellis. Unfortunately, even though I searched at the bottom for the label, I couldn't find it. It hasn't flowered yet, but the branches are not clingy, rather they are self-supporting and growing outwards. Please can someone help me with its identity and whether it will flower. it looks quite healthy though. Thanks.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,676
    It's probably Lonicera Japonica. Can get bushy and vigorous, especially if you prune them all back a bit. Guide it into the trellis and then tie it in to stop them splaying out. 
  • EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 1,103
    Thanks @Borderline. I have not pruned it yet. It was just 2-3 branches last year and I did twist them behind the trellis. This year, there is vigorous growth. What can I do to make it flower? Thanks.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,676
    I'm sure it will flower soon, as long as they get some sun for a few hours. Make sure your plant has been kept well watered. If not this year, I suspect it will flower next year. Doesn't look too big.
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 548
    Yes, my neighbours bought one last year, I'm amazed at how quickly it's grown - it's about 7 x 10ft now - that's just what I can see on the trellis above the fence!
    Thanks @Borderline and @Slow-worm.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,769
    I don't like interfering but I question that's Japanese Honeysuckle.  The foliage doesn't look right and it's not twining, the stems are quite upright and rigid looking..  

..this is Japanese Honeysuckle.. the leaves are softer and a little furry, green twining stems..

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,345
    In that case, could it be lonicera  periclymenum ?
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/10508/lonicera-periclymenum/details
    edited 10 July
    Thanks @Marlorena and @AnniD for your suggestions. As I mentioned in my original post, yes, the stems are very sturdy and straight, not floppy or twining. They do not seem to need any support. I had difficulty twisting the branches to be nearer the trellis. That is why I doubted whether it is indeed a honeysuckle. I have had L. halliana and L. serotina in a previous home and they were quite supple compared to these stems. Anyway I'll wait and see whether it flowers. Thanks for your help.

Edited to add L.heckrottii seems to be of this type - stems that need to be tied in.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 1,925
    Just to say I admire anyone who can tell one Lonicera from another without flowers.L halliana I would Know but that is about it!
    Thanks @GardenerSuze.