Forum home Problem solving

Cherry Blossom Tree dying??

Tammy-63Tammy-63 Posts: 3
edited 9 July in Problem solving
Hi we have this cherry blossom tree in our garden (over 20 years old). This year we've noticed its not as full as usual and is particularly looking bare now that its lost its flowers and should be glossy green leaves. The bark is also peeling! Is there anything I can do to help? Will it be okay? 

Some leaves are orange too  :( 

Thanks

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544
    It’s dead, I’m afraid.

They aren’t long lived trees and your has probably had a good innings.

The bark coming away from the trunk is a sure sign that the tree is dead.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Tammy-63Tammy-63 Posts: 3
    edited 9 July
    Oh no!! Thats so sad! Will I be able to plant another in its place and it grow as well? Excuse me if thats a silly question. The roots are very deep rooted. Do you have a good suggestion of a tree of similar size (18/20 ft) that is longer living, fast growing? 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544
    edited 9 July
    No, it’s not a silly question at all.  Some trees die because a fungus attacks them and the fungus stays in the soil and can kill a replacement tree too.

As we don’t know what killed your tree (apart from maybe old age) it’s hard to know what to suggest.

Do you like apples?  Or apple pie?  You could plant an apple tree and hope for the best.  Bramley apples are vigorous and fast growing and make lovely pies.

If you bought one that had been grafted onto a MM111 or M25 rootstock you would end ip with a tree that was about the same size as you flowering cherry but which was also useful. 🙂
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Tammy-63Tammy-63 Posts: 3
    Okay thank you. Is there any way to test the soil? Would a tree surgeon be able to tell? It's the centre point in my garden so it's a real shame to have nothing there. 

Great suggestion thank you!

Thanks for your help 
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,421
    I'm so sorry about your tree. I have one a little older, hanging on by the skin of its teeth but I can't bear to take it out. I would be interested to know if you can replant in the same place, too. Apples are lovely in their way but you can't beat a flowering cherry in spring.
  • EmptyheadtimeEmptyheadtime Ireland Posts: 145
    edited 10 July
    I took down my 20year old cherry tree this year before it fell down. It was hard decision but it was getting a lot of canker and while it was not dead I felt it best to remove it before it did any damage in a winter storm. On the plus side, I now have a fair bit of wood for the fire (a bit of sawing still to do) and a lot more light coming into the garden and I won't need to keep cutting all the suckers it was putting up in the lawn and beds. Every cloud.....
    Due to the stump and roots there is no way I could currently dug a hole big enough to plant another tree in the same spot so it's shrubs for me just now.