Forum home Problem solving

Conservatory roof.

13»

• NollieNollie Posts: 7,512
    Nanny B, I hadn’t heard of cosyroof but from a quick google it looks like cladding that would give you the appearance, light levels and some of the insulation qualities of a solid roof -  you would lose the light in winter? 

From personal experience of living in a hot country, external shading is far more effective than internal shading - the aim is to stop the glass and consequently the interior getting overheated by preventing the sun hitting the glass in the first place. 

A motorised retractable awning in a pale reflective material would be the ideal, so you only have to have it covering your conservatory when you need to. With a bungalow, though, you may not have the wall space and headroom between the conservatory and the roof line for that. The only other thing that could work is to rig up external sailshades (tied to anchor points in the wall and/or tall poles) that you could install for summer then take down, wash and put away in winter.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,717
    Hello Mollie,you are correct of course,so is raisingirl with her technical knowledge. As I said,we did look at exterior shades....that was when we had the bog standard plastic lean to roof. We now have a Lantern roof,yes, much higher as you can see in the before and after pictures. We also live in a very windy area,so hubby discounted the idea of that, feeling it would probably rip the roof tiles from the bungalow. You're correct about the height, our bungalow is low rooved. Am glad suesyn mentioned the insects.... I vacuumed up carcasses before I went to bed,this morning there was a load more, including all over the table. Me,I want to get left side panels replaced and have opening windows like we used to. Thank you all for your input.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,717
    nollie, this is from another company website, there are quite a few of them. I definitely wouldn't consider a "tiled" roof, being north facing.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 8,972
    @Nanny Beach I know exactly what you mean about the noises from a polycarbonate roof on a hot day.  Our neighbours had a conservatory like the one in the photo built.  I was in there on a sunny afternoon, and there was an almighty bang which turned out to be the roof panel expanding.
    The positive from that experience was that when we had a conservatory we went for pitched roof and glass panels.
  • SuesynSuesyn Posts: 662
    One of the reasons (apart from the cost) I have hesitated over the idea of changing to a "warm" roof is that our 18th century cottage has low ceilings and I'm afraid it may make the kitchen too dark. When the previous owners added the conservatory behind the kitchen they left the original solid door in place which made the kitchen very gloomy. After having the door propped open all summer we realised what a difference it made and replaced the solid door with a glass panelled one.
    I would never buy a conservatory but having acquired one we have to make the best of it.