Forum home Problem solving

Conservatory roof.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Our conservatory, we call it the sun room,  faces SE so sun morn till night.  We have that reflective glass that NB mentioned hers had.   It reaches 50° in there.

too hot to sit in in the summer but it saves on heating as it keeps the lounge warm as well and drys the washing in no time.  I never put washing outside. 

I wouldn't pay money like that for a new roof.  The thing didn’t cost that much in the first place. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,717

Ben, your conservatory and house are gorgeous! Suesyn let's have a picture,if it's a lean to,you can get external shades,a bit like green house shading, but too difficult to fit on our shape and height of roof. You could actually get away with the green house meshy stuff. I suggested to hubby we just bought more of the kookaburra shades,darker colour and all over....the "beige" was the only colour in the sale, now he's rattling on about making them do they slide along!!!

It didn't want to load that picture. Hi Lyn,.yes,that definitely counts as a"sun" room. I can't begin to imagine how much one our size would cost now days,I tried to find out,out of curiosity, but course the places will only come out and give a quote, no-one will give you a ball park figure. We have a small open plan bungalow, the dining table is in the conservatory,and the computer desk, washing machine, dryer. The conservatory comes into its own. We were lucky,our last house had a west facing garden,we didn't need blinds. It was a great alternative to an extension,and no planning consent. It was a 1930s cottage,11 by 12ft sitting room, kitchen 11 by 9ft kitchen, conservatory on that gave us a dining table.
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,698
    Thanks Mrs Beach!

Rutland, England
  • raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,084
    edited July 2022
    The only direct experience I can offer is of the the solid roof conversion where we've had to go and look at a couple where the Building Control Officer wasn't happy and some additional structure was needed to support the weight of the new roof. I think those were specific circs though, not something that's a common problem. 
    As a general principle, and sails or blinds that are inside the glass have limited benefit in reducing heat. You get some shade from direct sunlight, but the heat is still inside - the shade or whatever gets really hot so it starts to act like a radiator. Some of that will be radiated outwards, back through the glass, but a lot will be radiated into the space - you'll tend to find that it's cooler early on and then gets hotter and hotter. Might be OK if the conservatory faces east, but anything south or west will likely still be too hot, and in NB's case with sun overhead, I'd doubt it would be worth the cost.
    If the 'cosyroof' polycarbonate goes on the OUTSIDE of the glass, it would probably work as an insulator, but I'd worry about it's durability. If it's INSIDE the glass, it'll reduce the heat a bit because it's in contact with the glass so will radiate more outwards than a sail suspended under it (the glass will get hot, I imagine). But I think if it were me, I'd keep saving up for the solid roof - much more likely to work in the long run.
    Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
    edited July 2022
    Hi raisingirl,no we don't want a solid roof,as I said the conservatory faces north, the only reason it manages to get so hot,is because it's a bungalow, the houses,"shade"their back garden conservatories. It would be dark in winter. We paid £8k4 years ago for the roof,(believe me,it was FAR hotter with the low plastic roof!)  I think the total bill,roof, windows,french doors was £17k. The insulation panels slot in the roof bars, but as I said anymore outlay I want to be sure it works! As you stand,sun rises in East,then south all day, finally west,so we have sun in the conservatory from sunrise to sunset. Fades the furniture. We were looking to get a new dining set now the grandkids are growing up. Set we have glass,charity shop. Visited showroom the other day, bloke said we'd have to go for glass wood would get ruined,by the sun. I'm annoyed we didn't go for what we wanted, opening side windows,roof vent, picture windows in front. We used the same company for all our windows doors,had been perfectly happy, family firm,and was "guided" by boss.Im wondering if it would be great cheaper to get a new panel each side with opening window,NO I wouldn't use same company,we have a neighbour 3 doors down REALLY fussy, been here since 1965 when they were built, would use the same company as him.will post a picture of the conservatory "before". 
    I know one of you clever folks will be able to "right," it. Funny, the outside pictures were the correct way up!
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

edited July 2022
    Thanks Lyn,as you can see, when we moved here, the conservatory looked like an old fashioned doctors waiting room! The roof wasn't a cheap plastic one,it was triple bronze colour, but where we get high wind from the "sea" side,it had just started leaking when it rained. The noises it made on a hot day were terrifying!