Forum home Problem solving

Hydrangea leaves crispy and curling

I have a hydrangea hot chocolate, that keep giving off fresh healthy new leaves, but they then curl, go crispy and fall off. I dont know what is causing this as everything thing else around it is very healthy. 

I also have a weigela middendorffiana that has the same behaviour of fresh leaves dropping off. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,098
    Possibly sunburn or a lack of water earlier in the year.
    Hydrangeas prefer some shade and need moisture at their roots all the time.
    Two of mine have the same which I think is down to a lack of water in the spring - we had no rain here at all in March or April

I don't know why your weigela has the same, but mine (a different variety) also has some crispy leaf edges, but the leaves aren't dropping.

It looks a bit naff, but the plants should be ok
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • annamaria_annamaria_ Posts: 14
    Thank you, Yes I was thinking something to do with the sun too.  Hopefully it will be fine as its in an area with two magnolias and rhodendrums which are all happy. 

All the plants in this huge bed are all thriving apart from these, so they do stick out a bit to me. But I'll wait and see how they do.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,083
    Try giving them both a good long drink in case it's just a case of being out competed for resources in dry spells.   Don't just give a dribble as that encourages roots up to the surface where the will fry.  Give them 15 litres each poured slowly so it soaks in.  Repeat every 3 or 4 days till you get some decent rain. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    Sun, wind and lack of water are the main things which affect hydrangeas' health. 
    It could be any of them , or a combination.
    If you have a lot of other shrubs, which seems to be the case, and haven't had adequate rainfall through the spring, that will certainly have an impact. Some shade is always best for them.
    Lots of water will always help, but if it's only minor damage, and they're otherwise healthy, they usually come away, and the damage is largely cosmetic.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....