Forum home Problem solving

Dying Rowan Tree

We recently moved into a new house with a poorly rowan tree, with lots of bare/dead branches and few leaves. The previous owners said it is 50-60 years old and has been in decline for the last 6-7 years. Can anyone suggest what is causing this and whether the tree can be saved? Or is it beyond hope?

Also would I be safe planting a new rowan tree near the same spot? If there is a fungus or bacteria I wouldn't want the new one to suffer the same fate. Many thanks. 

• PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,208
    Rowans can unfortunately suffer from fireblight.  This link gives details of symptoms and possible treatment: Fireblight / RHS Gardening.  Hope this helps.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,040
    I lost one to verticillium wilt many years ago.
    It was looking fine, the following year few leaves appeared and it looked very poorly.
    It then fell to the ground during the massive storm we had in the late 80's/early 90's that Michael Fish has never lived down :)
    The wilt still affects other shrubs in that area.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,193
    In addition to what's been said, rowans don't tend to be long lived trees.  It could just have reached the end of its days ...  it's described here as 'a fast growing short-lived pioneer tree...' https://treesforlife.org.uk/into-the-forest/trees-plants-animals/trees/rowan/rowan-facts/.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh