Forum home Problem solving

Witchhazel leaves changing colour

Hi. We planted this witchhazel in spring this year. I've owned it for years but its been in a pot whilst we sorted the garden.  It has always gone brown around the edges of the leaves which i thought was due to me not watering it enough. 

Its in full sun for most of the day  probably 10-3 at this time of year. It's in very sandy soil  that we have mixed lots of compost and soil conditioner. Oh and we bought a bulk bag of better quality top soil for the whole bed. 

Its got some nice new leaves coming but it did that a few weeks ago and then they went brown on the edges too. 

Do you think it still wants more water whilst it's settling in? We have been watering quite a bit because everything was nearly planted this year and it's been very dry in Dorset. 

I know it looks swamped in other plants but it isnt, it's got about a foot of space around the trunk in all directions.  

Any ideas or help would be great. 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,016
    Needs more water.
    Possibly too much sun and too free draining a soil.
    Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 2,047
     Yes needs more water.Looks like the leaves have been scorched.
  • Magical MeerkatMagical Meerkat Posts: 286
    Thanks both. OK we will step up the watering. We are planning on adding a mulch in autumn, so hopefully thr soil will improve more.