Forum home Problem solving

Hedge too wide (laurel)

Hi 

We have a hedge that is too wide and ideally we would like to remove it and put in a fence but it is rather expensive to remove. Any thoughts or ideas on what we could do to gain back some of our garden?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,573
    You can cut laurels back to the ground and it won’t hurt them,  they’ll soon shoot out and you can keep them trimmed to what size suits you thereafter. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,377
    I agree ... cut it hard back and down to three feet shorter than you want it to be ... it'll produce new growth which will be easier to keep trimmed.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I think lower than 3’,  we cut ours to about 6” it will shoot out right down at ground level then.

Very true @Lyn ... both ways will work  :D
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

We did the same with a very tall hedge of rhododendrons last year,  they’re almost as tall as me now,  as you always say,  ‘Growth follows knife’. Very true. 

It's a lesson to those who don't realise that all hedges need regular maintenance ... they are not a 'natural' thing ... there really is no such thing as a 'natural hedge plant'  :)

• Lyn said:
    You can cut laurels back to the ground and it won’t hurt them,  they’ll soon shoot out and you can keep them trimmed to what size suits you thereafter. 
    thanks Lyn (and everyone - very much appreciated) the hedge is  2 meters wide (not as worried about height as we keep that in check) and the trunks are about 3 inches thick. I guess I can cut some of the trunks to get some of the garden back. I was also thinking of cutting into it and making a seating area like this?

thoughts? 
  • It's a lesson to those who don't realise that all hedges need regular maintenance ... they are not a 'natural' thing ... there really is no such thing as a 'natural hedge plant'  :)
    so true - ours came with the house the previous owners didn't manage it well :-(
    It's good that you're there now to restore and manage it properly ... let us know how you get on  :)

edited 7 July
    You can cut it anyway you would like it,  it will survive although it will look bare and probably awful, but only for a few months.

It maybe an old wives tale, but when you saw off the branches, cut them on a slope rather than straight across.