Forum home Problem solving

Wollerton old hall climbing Rose

My son bought us a Wollerton old hall climbing rose which says it grows to 12 ft and plant against a 20ft wall or fence.  My fences are only 6ft can I limit the height?

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 1,979
    @bazray1 I am sure there are some roses growers on this forum who will be able to help you. I don't know this rose but I am sure it will be as stunning as the garden it'self. Welcome!
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,579
    bump
  • TackTack Central South UKPosts: 985
    I have  Wollerton Old Hall on a 6ft fence but it is only starting its 3rd season here. I have trained the canes horizontally and they spread 2 fence panels. The new laterals and canes have just reached higher than the fence. I will let them go quite a bit above the fence and train or chop any excess. No idea what the end result will look like. It is a vigorous rose when it gets going, mine is in poor soil and half shade.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045
    If you can install some tensioned horizontal wires at 30cm intervals up your fence posts you can then train the young stems laterally and diagonally along the wires and all the rose's vigour will go into into growing laterally instead of vertically so the limit will be the length rather than the height of your fence.   It will have the added benefit of making your rose more floriferous as new flowering shoots will pop up in greater numbers from those lateral stems. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,825
    I have one and it's taken 3 or 4 years to start putting on any growth.  I don't think you will have too much trouble keeping it under control.
    I'd like to plant one, just to see what colour it turns out. Every picture I see of it shows a diffferent colour. :D I love the name too.
  • Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster In the Cambs FensPosts: 527
    edited 8 July
    I'm only a very basic gardener, but my Wollerton isn't doing too bad considering it was about 3 bare rooted twigs 7 months ago. I've got big ambitions for it, I need it to stretch over 3 x 6ft fencing panels. It's had one flush of flowers, and I notice it's building for another. They start a lovely shade of salmon, eventually turning into a delicate pink. 

Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am! 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,784
    ^are you quite sure you have the correct rose?

I see quite a few thorns on yours, prickly new growth too, and WOH has very few, also I've never seen it salmon turning to a shade of pink..

so lovely. How does WOH compare with Buff Beauty please? 
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,214
    edited 8 July
    My WOH is the same colour as @Marlorena 's. The new, closed buds have a few deep pink tinges but the young, opening blooms are a soft apricot which fade through yellow to ivory. Deeply scented. 

Mine is not in the best location (a bit dry and shaded under fruit trees) so it's probably not as vigorous as it could be but I grow it in a spiral up a 6' obelisk with clematis 'Polish Spirit' and it's fine.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down